Marriage in Thailand

Marriage Registration in Thailand

Thailand, being one of the most popular destinations in the world, because of its diverse and scenic culture and truly a tropical paradise with its lush mountains and pristine beaches.  This has primarily one of the reasons why foreign couples or those foreigners with Thai fiancées chose the country as its wedding destination. 

Upon celebrating the marriage through a ceremony, the next important step is to register the marriage under Thai law.  After the marriage ceremony, most couples find it cumbersome to do the paperwork for registration of their marriage.  As such, Legal Unit Co., Ltd. to make the registration process for the newly-weds as convenient as possible.  We are committed to make the registration process for couples reliable and cost-effective.

When the marriage is duly registered in the local district (Amphur), this marriage has been legal in Thailand or in the home country of a foreign spouse, as the case may be.

Marriage Registration

Before proceeding to ‘the Amphur’ to now proceed to register your marriage, it is very necessary to check on the following relevant documents which are required to effect the registration of your marriage in Thailand:

1. Copy of identification documents

  • For Thais: ID card and Household Registration Certificate (‘Tabian Baan”)
  • For Foreigners: Passport with your arrival stamp and immigration card

2. Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry issued by the respective Embassy, in case one or both spouses are foreigners

This document certifies that the applicant/spouse to register the marriage in Thailand has the legal capacity to marry and has no legal impediment to contract marriage.  The Embassy of the respective country shall issue this to the foreigner as requirement to the marriage registration.

The processing time and related fees will vary in each Embassy. Normally, the certification is not issued on the same day.  The lead time may take 2 days or depending on your Embassy’s protocol and guidelines in issuances of legal documents.  Hence, it is important that the foreigner concerned must contact their Embassy to be advised of this particular process.

This document then needs to be translated into Thai in order for legalization of this document with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Thailand. 

Divorce by mutual consent of the parties is most common and preferable as this type  of divorce seemingly is not as costly and time consuming.    However, this uncontested divorce requires the personal appearances of both parties before the local district office.

3. Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry issued by the respective Embassy, in case one or both spouses are foreigners

If you or your fiancé/fiancée had previously been married, you will need a Divorce Certificate or a Death Certificate if your former spouse had died. This will be required by the Embassy in the issuance of the Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry.

4. Medical Certificate

If a recently divorced woman or a widow would remarry, she needs to secure a medical certificate from a hospital at the time of the Marriage Registration in Thailand, if the marriage is within 310 days from the date of divorce or date of death of the previous spouse.  The purpose of the medical certificate is to prove that at the time of the subsequent marriage, the woman does not bear a child from the previous marriage.

5. Certificate of Change of Name (for Thai nationals)

The “name change certificate” of your fiancée has to be provided at the time of marriage registration. This is required for the Thai party to the union if he/she had changed his/her name before.

Our Marriage Registration Package

1. Full Consultation

Full consultation about the process and requirements for getting married under Thai law.

2. Translation of Documents and Legalization

Translation of the required documents, especially to that of the foreign spouse into Thai language.  We then prepare and submit these documents for legalization of the translated documents at the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

3. Preparation of Documents & Registration at the District Office

Preparation of the relevant marriage documents and registration of the marriage at the local district (Amphur) office.

4. Translation & Legalization

Translation of the marriage certificates into English and legalization of the translated certificates for your home country.

5. Thai Visa for Foreign Spouse of Thai nationals

Once the marriage is registered, foreign spouse can proceed with the application of Non-O visa, being married to a Thai national.  Non-O visa is normally issued for a 12-month duration and can be renewed thereafter.